No matter where you’re taking your grown-up toys this summer (vacation, mini-vacation, action adventure, weekend getaway), remember to review your insurance policies before you go, to ensure you have the coverage you need. Here’s some helpful information:
- BASIC RV INSURANCE COVERAGES
- Liability: Pays for injuries and damages that you may cause
- Collision: Will fix/replace your vehicle due to an accident whether you’re at fault or not
- Comprehensive: Covers non-collision damage (vandalism, theft, fire, hail, glass etc.)
- Uninsured Motorist: Covers you if the other driver was at fault and is uninsured
- Underinsured Motorist: Protects against underinsured drivers low coverage limits
** TIP: If your RV is your permanent residence, coverage may be denied if you did not inform your insurance provider beforehand.
- OPTIONAL COVERAGES INCLUDE
- Personal Effects: Covers your belongings while vacationing in an RV (** TIP: Your homeowner’s policy may cover your belongings (minus deductible), but may not cover if you cross state lines.)
- Vacation Liability: (Also called Campsite Liability) Provides personal vacation liability insurance when using your RV as a temporary vacation residence (** TIP: Some policies do not cover accessories not permanently attached.)
ATV, UTV & OFF-ROAD VEHICLE INSURANCE
- To Insure Or Not: Not all states require ATV’s to be insured, but consider the consequences of not being insured. **In PA, insurance is required anytime you ride your vehicle off your own land.**
** TIP: Homeowners policies generally do not cover ATV’s off-premises.
- Custom Parts & Equipment: These can be expensive. Don’t forget to add them to your policy
- Transport Trailer Coverage: Covers your trailer if damaged. In PA, Collision/Comprehensive liability allows the vehicle towing the trailer.
** TIP: Your personal auto policy may cover your trailer, but it may have restrictions.
DIRT BIKE INSURANCE
- BASIC DIRT BIKE INSURANCE (Off-Road Vehicle)
- Typically covers bodily injury and property damage liability
- To Insure or Not: Some states require dirt bikes to be insured some do not, but consider the consequences of not being insured. **In PA there is not off-premise liability.**
- The rule of thumb is that if it’s registered in the state – it’s best to have insurance.
- OPTIONAL COVERAGES INCLUDE:
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
- Medical Payments: Pays medical bills for riders/passengers if they are injured while riding
- Total Loss Coverage: Replaces your bike at the manufacturer’s retail price (racing is excluded)
- BASIC BOATING INSURANCE
- Insures your watercraft against perils such as sinking, capsizing, storms, collision, fire and theft. It also covers damage to another watercraft or a dock
- OPTIONAL COVERAGES TO CONSIDER
- Electronics Coverage: Protect your expensive electronic equipment
- Fuel Spill Liability: Protects from cleanup claims and third party damage caused by the accidental discharge of fuel or oil (including if your boat sank)
- Towing Assistance: Roadside assistance for boats
- Salvage: Covers your watercraft for salvage charges up to the hull value, as well as damage incurred by the salvage process
WATERCRAFT REPLACEMENT VALUE OPTIONS
- Actual Cash Value: Pays the value of your boat at the time of the damage
- Agreed Amount Value: If totaled, your receive a pre-agreed upon amount
- Replacement cost: If totaled pays the cost to replace the boat with a new one
- Marine Environmental Damage: Helps cover claims against you
Think twice before skimping on insurance just to save a few bucks. Grown-up toys and their accessories are expensive, so it makes sense to protect your investment. Insurance coverage can vary widely between carriers, so shop around for insurance that best fits your needs
If you have questions or would like to learn more about insuring your grown-up toys, our Lehigh Valley insurance experts would be happy to talk with you! We can design a comprehensive insurance policy that can help provide some peace of mind knowing that you are covered.
Arbor Insurance Group provides travel insurance, life insurance, home insurance, auto insurance and other personal and business insurance products throughout the Lehigh Valley, including Allentown, Bethlehem, Coopersburg, Macungie, Orefield, Emmaus and surrounding areas.